If science is your passion, then US higher education institutions can offer you many opportunities for self-realization. American colleges and universities are known around the world for the quality of training programs for future scientists. The latest equipment, infrastructure, access to relevant literature and professional associations. All this is available to students of PhD programs in the USA.
Training in a doctoral program in the USA lasts about 5 years, because the training of young scientists consists of two components. Firstly, the student takes training courses to gain professional knowledge in his field and research methods. Secondly, each doctoral candidate writes a dissertation, after the defense of which a PhD degree is awarded. In America, more than 400 universities carry out doctoral studies.
Interestingly, it is possible to enter PhD programs in the USA, both after a master’s degree, and having only a bachelor’s degree. Many American colleges and universities offer integrated doctoral programs that provide both a master’s and doctoral degree in the learning process.
To begin preparing for joining the American doctoral program is to determine their own research topics. Writing out a research proposal, which is often required by Ukrainian or European universities, is not required. However, you need to choose a specialization that will determine doctoral programs for which documents should be submitted.
The selection of programs is best started with communication with a profession that is engaged in research in your area of specialization. Decide on potentially interesting research supervisors, research teams, or laboratories. It is their programs that should be considered for admission.
Additional factors that PhD students in the USA should consider:
- Accommodation in a region with a developed industry that you plan to study. For example, computer scientists are more likely to study in California, Texas, or Massachusetts, while agronomists may be more interested in midwestern programs.
- The learning environment is also important, because programs can include various class sizes, student experience, and extracurricular activities.
- Of course, if you need financial assistance, consider the possibility of universities and programs to provide it to a foreign student.
After selecting the programs, it is worth starting to prepare the application package of documents:
- Start by compiling standardized tests, as preparing for them can take quite some time. For admission to doctoral studies in the United States, you must provide a TOEFL or IELTS certificate to confirm knowledge of English. Additionally, programs may require test results of general educational competencies, such as GRE.
- Also prepare transcripts from all the higher education institutions that you previously visited.
- Agree on 2-3 letters of recommendation, depending on the requirements of your programs.
- And write a motivational essay and resume.
- Previous research experience is highly desirable for applicants for PhD programs, so if possible, prepare an article and take part in an international conference in your specialty.
- Basically, colleges and universities in the USA will require an example of your previous academic work in English to assess your ability to write scientific texts.
If you still have questions about preparing for entering doctoral programs in higher education institutions in the USA, then contact EducationUSA advisers in Kazakhstan for free individual consultation or apply for group preparation programs for enrollment from EducationUSA – your official source of information on higher education in USA.